The Indonesian Constitutional Court today dismissed an application by Prabowo Subianto, the candidate for the 2019 presidential election, who filed a petition to challenge the election result announced by the General Election Commission (KPU).
The decision was read by Chief Justice MK Anwar Usman at 9.16 pm here today.
Jokowi in a press conference said the decision by the Constitutional Court was final, and he urged the Indonesian people to reunite.
Meanwhile, Prabowo said he was disappointed but respected the court’s ruling and called on all parties to refrain from any action that could affect peace.
Jokowi, had been announced as the winner of the 2019 presidential election by the General Election Commission on May 21, but his challenger, Prabowo refused to concede defeat and filed a petition to challenge the election result.
Several incidents of rioting also occurred in Jakarta on May 21 and 22 after the election result was announced.
Hearing of the election petition was held from June 14 to 21 before a panel of nine judges, chaired by Anwar.