Chairman of the Negeri Sembilan Urban Wellbeing, Housing, Local Government and New Villages Committee Teo Kok Seong said there were still companies which put up billboards without a licence and they must immediately apply for a permit from the local authority.
He said if no applications were made by the owner of the billboard during the whitening period, the unlicenced billboards along the North-South Expressway (PLUS) will be dismantled after Hari Raya Aidilfitri.
"We have given reminders and notices to the billboard owners to apply for permits during the whitening period, especially for areas under the Nilai Municipal Council (MPN), Seremban Municipal Council(MPS) and the Rembau District Council (MDR), but there are still people who have not respond even after they were issued notices.
“This is the last warning and they can see the local authorities to resolve the issue and submit new applications so that we can help them in the whitening process of the unlicenced billboards,” he told reporters here today.
Teo said the areas under MPN had the most number of unlicenced billboards (429), followed by MDR (14) and MPS (11).
He said so far, only companies of 60 units of billboards had responded to the notices issued to them and submitted their applications.
He urged all billboard companies and landowners to cooperate with the government in the whitening process of unlicenced billboards.
“We are not stopping anyone from renting out to the operators, but abide by the set specifications and do not put up billboards on government land without permit. Landowners will also face action for putting up billboards not according to the specifications set by the local authorities,” he said.
Teo added that although the final date (April 15) for applications had passed, the government would still make allowances for any company which submitted their applications for licence before Aidilfitri.