Calling on All Lawyers and Pupils in Chambers: Be a Part of the Constitutional Law Committee! (17 June 2017). Circular No. 106/2017; 29 May 2017
To: Members of the Malaysian Bar and pupils in chambers
The Bar Council Constitutional Law Committee (“ConstiLC”) aims to:
(1) raise awareness of, and educate and empower the rakyat on, provisions of the Federal Constitution;
(2) discuss and respond to constitutional issues that arise; and
(3) make recommendations for constitutional reform.
In furtherance of the first objective, ConstiLC had in 2009, launched the MyConstitution Campaign to raise political awareness among Malaysians, of constitutionalism and the rule of law in the country. The campaign has been active for the past six years. Nevertheless, the level of awareness about the Federal Constitution remains subdued. The need to educate the public on the various provisions of the Federal Constitution, as the founding document of the nation, grows with every passing day.
In line with the aims stated above, ConstiLC will look into carrying out the following projects:
(1) Improving the MyConstitution Campaign by increasing its outreach to rural areas and the younger generation;
(2) Organising frequent discussions on current constitutional issues for the public at large;
(3) Setting up a working group to recommend amendments to the Federal Constitution; and
(4) Increasing awareness and appeal, among lawyers and pupils in chambers, of public interest litigation.
We look forward to hearing the thoughts of one and all.
ConstiLC is also open (by invitation) to academics and students in the legal community, as well as members of civil society working on constitutional issues.
Details of our first committee meeting for the 2017/2018 term are as follows:
Date: 17 June 2017 (Saturday)
Time: 10:00 am
Venue: Meeting Room 1, Level 3, Bar Council, 15 Leboh Pasar Besar, 50050 Kuala Lumpur
The duty to promote the rule of law is an imperative in every citizen of this nation. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” We hope to see many of you there!
If you are interested to join ConstiLC, kindly complete and submit the attached reply slip to Muhammad Bazli Naim b Abdul Azid, Administrative Assistant, by email at email@example.com, or by fax at 03-2031 6640, on or before 13 June 2017 (Tuesday).
If you are curious to know more about this committee, or about its first meeting, please contact Anusha Gopala Krishnan, Officer, by telephone at 03-2050 2097, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come be a part of this exciting committee and join the quest to “merakyatkan Perlembagaan”!
Kenny Lai Choe Ken and Surendra Ananth
Constitutional Law Committee
To view the Reply Slip Form attached to this document click on the “CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL TEXT” button at the bottom of this page.